Monday, April 20, 2009

The Hunger Games-- First Impressions & Prose

Dande:
Overall, good book?

Chorus of agreement

Walle:
It was better than I expected.

Dande:
Oh, you don't like my book-choosing abilities?

Laughs

Newhope:
It doesn't help, the title, at all. You have to really read the inside cover.

Dande:
I'm guessing that they count more on word-of-mouth than people picking it up for the cover.

Newhope:
It's definitely engineered towards that.

O'Juice:
Actually, you know what I first heard about when I heard the title? I thought it would be some girl on the streets of New York or something like that.

Walle:
I thought it would be something about a person who's struggling to live, not a futuristic society.

Dande:
You thought I picked a memoir?

Walle:
Yeah...

Laughs

Dande:
What did you guys think the actual way the book was told, the prose, the writing style? It was present tense.

Windex:
Better than Dickens...


Laughs [Editor's Note* Many Members of MYABC recently read Dickens in English Class]

O'Juice:
I liked how it wasn't an all knowing author. It was from her perspective. It wasn't one second she's talking about this, another second she's talking about something else, and it's like, how do you know that? I want to follow it from what she knows.

Walle:
I also liked the fact that in the beginning, it wasn't a description of her whole life, and then the Hunger Games start. I like the way they incorporated her past into the present.

Jolly:
I like how they tell you about her life during the Games.

Newhope:
They didn't tell you about that girl she found, with the cut off tongue, until she actually met her.

Dande:
Actually, if you noticed the Hunger Games actually started halfway through the book, but it doesn't feel like that. It feels like it goes by so quick.


1 comment:

  1. this book is so awesome does anyone know when the auditions for the movie are if you know anything please tell me

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Agree, disagree, ask a question, tell us we're idiots because the plot hole we talked about is resolved on page 42, whatever!